Vietnamese Translation projects

Hello my friends of OLPC and Open Source Vietnam!

I hope this finds everyone well!

Today I received this email from Chrs Leonard, the volunteer Sugar Labs / OLPC / eToys Pootle administrator who coordinates the language localization efforts for Sugar and related open software projects. The information on what has been done and what still needs to be done can be found in the link below.

From: Chris Leonard <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 12:12 PM
Subject: Vietnamese L10n
To: Nancie Severs <[email protected]>

Nancie,

Can you please try to recruit some people to work on the Vietnamese
localization?  With Clytie less active, someone has to pick up the
slack.

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/vi/

Even a few words at a time will add up quickly.

cjl

Can we put a translation team together, and perhaps make a timeline and prioritize which parts make the most sense to translate, as a project over a few months? Perhaps someone knows some students who would like experience doing this work?

I know the questions will be who will use the software, and so, is the effort worthwhile?

My thoughts:
In Thailand, work on the localization and translations apparently stopped several years ago when no new XO deployments seemed planned. A new 500 XO project has just been underwritten, and the XO-1.5 ;laptops have been ordered, for children in 13 rural schools. Now the translation job needed in Thailand is quite urgent, in order to support the new deployment.

I am thinking that if our group can work on the Vietnamese language localization at a time when the need is less urgent, then Sugar will be available for Vietnamese teachers and children. And when the time is ripe for more XOs to come to Vietnam, the software support and translation group will be in place.

I plan to be in Thailand in late October and hope to visit Hanoi, perhaps in mid- November and meet with some of you!
Warm regards,
Nancie:)

--
This email came from my XO from OLPC!