Re: Vietnamese Translation projects

2011/8/26 Nancie Severs <[email protected]>:
> Hello my friends of OLPC and Open Source Vietnam!
>
> I hope this finds everyone well!
>
> Today I received this email from Chrs Leonard, the volunteer Sugar Labs /
> OLPC / eToys Pootle administrator who coordinates the language localization
> efforts for Sugar and related open software projects. The information on
> what has been done and what still needs to be done can be found in the link
> below.
>
> From: Chris Leonard <[email protected]>
> Date: Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 12:12 PM
> Subject: Vietnamese L10n
> To: Nancie Severs <[email protected]>
>
> Nancie,
>
> Can you please try to recruit some people to work on the Vietnamese
> localization?  With Clytie less active, someone has to pick up the
> slack.
>
> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/vi/
>
> Even a few words at a time will add up quickly.
>
> cjl
>
> Can we put a translation team together, and perhaps make a timeline and
> prioritize which parts make the most sense to translate, as a project over a
> few months? Perhaps someone knows some students who would like experience
> doing this work?
>
> I know the questions will be who will use the software, and so, is the
> effort worthwhile?
>
> My thoughts:
> In Thailand, work on the localization and translations apparently stopped
> several years ago when no new XO deployments seemed planned. A new 500 XO
> project has just been underwritten, and the XO-1.5 ;laptops have been
> ordered, for children in 13 rural schools. Now the translation job needed in
> Thailand is quite urgent, in order to support the new deployment.
>
> I am thinking that if our group can work on the Vietnamese language
> localization at a time when the need is less urgent, then Sugar will be
> available for Vietnamese teachers and children. And when the time is ripe
> for more XOs to come to Vietnam, the software support and translation group
> will be in place.

Regarding the current XO deployment in Vietnam: i made a short visit
in the Vung Vieng village in august.
The computers are still in good conditions and used by the children.
When i made a visit this was hollydays and the child was not here, but
i talk with a guy who is responsible for the fishermen in the village
if i understand correctly. He is really interested to have some help
from us. What is lacking apparently is some training for the local
teachers (they only stay one year in the village).

I think we need to setup a task force to help the vung vieng fishing
village deployment.
If there is enough people interested, we could try to prepare a more
update version of the sugar image to deploy on current laptops and
prepare some training materials for the teachers. I think this is
quite important to explain them the philosophy behind OLPC (this is
part of a broader movement) and how they can use the laptops. Maybe
they have some specific needs that we don't know.

> I plan to be in Thailand in late October and hope to visit Hanoi, perhaps in
> mid- November and meet with some of you!

Unfortunately in november, i will be in Japan.

Best regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk