Re: [OLPCVietnam] OLPC Vietnam Workshop at SFD 2010 Summarization

Hi Lilly and all,

Last January, a lovely young volunteer for OLPC, Marina applied to the Contributor's Program and received 5 XOs to bring with her to HCMC. She was placed by a volunteer agency to do some work for 3 months in HCMC, while taking a break from the corporate world. (Marina has an MBA.)

The OLPC Wiki project page is at:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects/OLPC-Saigon

She blogged the experience - a relevant example of classes can be found at:
http://saigonolpc.wordpress.com/2010/02/page/2/

Marina writes:
The shelter is called Ba Chieu. There are 6 girls with 5XOs who finished XO/Sugar training in March 2010. They can show you what they have been using XOs for and you can teach them new things and make sure they have up-to-date version of Sugar. You can call the manager ahead of time to schedule the visit, her name is Truong Thi Yen on (08) 515 0556. Feel free to read more about our training course at http://saigonolpc.wordpress.com
Marina :)

Bà Chiểu Home
Add: 149/1 Nguyen Van Dau, Ward 11, Binh Thanh Dist, HCMC
Tel: (+84). 85.150.556
The Ba Chieu Home for disadvantaged and homeless girls in Ho Chi Minh City was set up in May 1996 with initial funding from the
New Zealand Embassy. It is administered by the Women’s Charity Association of Ho Chi Minh City, a voluntary, non-governmental organisation set up in 1989 under licence from the HCMC People's Committee. After the first two years, the Embassy could no longer fund operating costs, so I have organised fundraising and private donations mainly from New Zealanders and New Zealand businesses with a Vietnamese connection ever since.

Marina did fabulous things with the teenagers and the XOs! It was even written up  here.

http://english.thesaigontimes.vn/Home/travel/expat-interest/6

It will be very helpful to see what has become of the girls and the XOs with a follow-up visit. I'll bet the XOs can be connected to the Internet and have a software update!  The girls will be glad to have Lilly answer their XO questions in Vietnamese! And a follow up visit will help us all to gauge what happens when XOs are given without structured ongoing support.

Nancie