Re: [OLPCVietnam] OLPC Vietnam Workshop at SFD 2010 Summarization

Thanks Yang,
I am so sorry to hear that you were sick. I hope you will be fully recovered soon.
Take good care,
Nancie :)

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Yang Ha Nguyen <[email protected]> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 05:16:39PM -0400, Nancie Severs wrote:
Hi Lilly and all,

Last January, a lovely young volunteer for OLPC, Marina applied to the
Contributor's Program and received 5 XOs to bring with her to HCMC. She was
placed by a volunteer agency to do some work for 3 months in HCMC, while
taking a break from the corporate world. (Marina has an MBA.)

The OLPC Wiki project page is at:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects/OLPC-Saigon

She blogged the experience - a relevant example of classes can be found at:
http://saigonolpc.wordpress.com/2010/02/page/2/

Marina writes:
The shelter is called Ba Chieu. There are 6 girls with 5XOs who finished
XO/Sugar training in March 2010. They can show you what they have been using
XOs for and you can teach them new things and make sure they have up-to-date
version of Sugar. You can call the manager ahead of time to schedule the
visit, her name is Truong Thi Yen on (08) 515 0556. Feel free to read more
about our training course at http://saigonolpc.wordpress.com
Marina :)

*Bà Chiểu Home* <http://www.web-central1.com/BaChieuHomeVietnam/>

Add: 149/1 Nguyen Van Dau, Ward 11, Binh Thanh Dist, HCMC
Tel: (+84). 85.150.556
The Ba Chieu Home for disadvantaged and homeless girls in Ho Chi Minh City
was set up in May 1996 with initial funding from the *New Zealand* Embassy.
It is administered by the Women’s Charity Association of Ho Chi Minh City, a
voluntary, non-governmental organisation set up in 1989 under licence from
the HCMC People's Committee. After the first two years, the Embassy could no
longer fund operating costs, so I have organised fundraising and private
donations mainly from New Zealanders and New Zealand businesses with a
Vietnamese connection ever since.

Marina did fabulous things with the teenagers and the XOs! It was even
written up  here.

http://english.thesaigontimes.vn/Home/travel/expat-interest/6<http://english.thesaigontimes.vn/Home/travel/expat-interest/60/>

It will be very helpful to see what has become of the girls and the XOs with
a follow-up visit. I'll bet the XOs can be connected to the Internet and
have a software update!  The girls will be glad to have Lilly answer their
XO questions in Vietnamese! And a follow up visit will help us all to gauge
what happens when XOs are given without structured ongoing support.

Nancie