Re: [OLPCVietnam] New build for the XO-1 and 1.5 -10.1.3 can be installed and questions for our group

Hello,

well, as your question was about a pilot close to Hanoi, I could not
really say anything about it as we are in the South. I agree with Vu
Do Quynh that there are many things to consider. Apart from cultural
aspects and resources we put in, we also need to consider the current
state of technology (hardware and software).

I am interested to push for education and IT and I believe it is great
to engage people to join up, to use and develop for the Sugar
interface for example. But, we also need to realistically see what
resources in regards to Hardware are available from OLPC. Currently
the XOs (also version 1.5) are not always up to the tasks running
quite slowly for todays standards. There are much faster chips out
there now that are comparably energy saving for example. Looking at
interface development, there are new concepts that we can see with
Android pads and Ipads. The study of OLPC3 went into this direction
and I am looking forward to see what the future will bring. I am happy
to engage in it. In the meantime, I would like to continue to push for
OLPC in Vietnam - maybe we could term it Open Learning Project with
Computers in Vietnam? To my mind we do not depend on the OLPC
hardware, we can also push for other energy saving and faster
solutions using the Sugar desktop.

Having said, that the hardware is now a bit old, it is nevertheless a
nice thing to play around with and we have a few people around, who
would definitely be interested in hacking on the devices. So, if you
have XOs available to educating students and getting them started and
interested in Sugar, we would be happy to keep some in our new
hackspace in Can Tho to be opened in April during the Open Design
Weeks.

All the best and happy Tet!

Mario