Re: [OLPCVietnam] Re: Vung Vieng Village XO Project

Hello OLPC Vietnam Volunteers,

I have been following this thread. I was delighted to hear that an Australian visitor and a few others over the past year or two have reported the XOs in use in the Vung Vieng Village.

I am hoping to come to SE Asia via Bangkok in November and to attend the OLPC Basecamp in Malacca Malaysia:
http://olpcbasecamp.blogspot.hk/2013/09/look-up-visible-full-moon-is-inspiration.html
It would be terrific to meet some of our OLPC Vietnam Volunteers and Friends there!

This about the Vung Vieng Village Project: In a presentation or panel about small XO projects, at Malacca, I would discuss the obstacles to success. In bringing the XOs to the VVV, I meant well, but my model was much like Nicholas Negroponte’s “helicopter drop” theory, that the kids and adults would be able to teach themselves how to use the Apps on the XOs. We volunteers who work with deployments around the world now know that with the exception of the few savvy hands on kids, this is not the case.

My good friend from Our Vietnam Group, Mr. Quynh wisely told me that “sometimes when you give a gift to someone, and even if they want the gift, they are not always ready or able to receive and use it.” In the VVV, my Vietnam project partner from the boat company Tuyen Luong, “finished” when I left Vietnam. I had no good contact person in the VVV. I had given Indochina Junk Co. contact information for those of you in Hanoi who have offered support, but no contact was ever made by them.

My best contact at Indochina Junk is Miss Trang:
Kim Tuyen  (Trang)
Sales & Marketing Manager
INDOCHINA JUNK  –  Halong’s Finest Luxury cruises!