Re: [OLPCVietnam] Re: Vung Vieng Village XO Project

Hi Arky and friends,

I apologize for the late reply. I have been busy with family and traveling:).  Congratulations on the Mozilla achievement! Arky, that's really great news about completing the Mozilla localization to Vietnamese! I hope you also had an interesting and productive conference in Cambodia. Currently, I am not planning to come to SE Asia this year. That could change & I'll be sure to let my friends know if I will come.

The newest XO Build, 12.1.0 is available here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/12.1.0

It works wonders with the XO-1. It dual boots easily into GNOME and works with Firefox. We are fortunate that Sugar Labs for now, is still supporting the XO-1 model.

I think it will be wonderful if some of you can make a visit to the VVV. In one of the recent posts, you were discussing the ability to bring the Internet to the VVV. That should work on a 3G device. A volunteer colleague who works in Kenya  http://ntugigroup.org/ recently shared a link to a BBC piece on the XO project in Ntugi. Scroll down to Part 3 with the XO photo to watch.
tinyurl.com/bbcntugi
You can see that they had Skype working from Kenya to China on an XO-1 with a 3G USB connection.

The desire for Internet for meaningful learning for kids (and adults) with XOs, raises the need for funds. Last spring, I was contacted by Mr. Roger Wander, of Australia who visited the VVV in winter, 2012. He had a very generous idea and raised some money from his friends, instead of birthday gifts for a big birthday. I wrote up the details in my blog here:
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/nsevers/4/1342634414/tpod.html

You can see that we had an idea to use the funds for a lending library, and if the XOs are unused, or not being used in school, perhaps they could be used in the new library with Internet also funded by the gift at the start, anyway.

I was in touch with Ms. Trang, at Indochina Junk last in August. At that time, I thought I would be coming and could perhaps facilitate delivery of Roger's gift to make certain that his funds are used to benefit the children/families he intends. Ms. Trang had mentioned that the families in the VVV might be moved to a different place (on land). I haven't heard a time frame for that and my plans travel plans changed; I did not come. I haven't heard anything further.  The funds are still available.

It would be ideal if you (Vietnamese speakers) contact Ms. Trang, and Mr Dũng, the owner of Indochina Junk, directly, since I admittedly have a huge language problem.:) She can be reached here:

To Kim Tuyen  (Trang
Sales & Marketing Manager