Re: OLPC Vietnam Meeting June, 2010 and discussion

Hi Ms. Severs, hi everyone,

Sin Chao!
Actually, it's the letter "x", not "s" ("Xin chào" or "Xin chao", without diacritic) :-)
My reply: Thank you all. My heart is full! I am so enthused to see that there are Vietnamese and others in Vietnam to help grow and support my personal goal to make Open Learning available to the poorest children in Vietnam! When I left Vietnam in January, I knew that the project I began was no longer "my project." For it to succeed, it must be a collaborative project and especially must be embraced by the Vietnamese Open Learning Community. I had a very productive meeting with Rabi from OLE Nepal in Boston recently. I agree with your assessment that OLE Nepal is a very good model for OLPC Vietnam to emulate.
Could you please share with us more details about the Open Learning Community (OLE) model of Nepal? Some resources would be great. At the first meeting on last Saturday, Mr. Stinckwick did talk briefly about the model, the community and the results in Nepal. I just got the basic idea. I think we should do some analysis about the model of Nepal, its achievements as well as its limitations and mistakes. By that way, we can apply the similar model to Vietnam, practically and effectively.
2. Re: the need for XOs for Developers and how to get them. I can help with that! How many XOs do you think we need realistically to test with, in addition to sticks for TOAST? The Contributors Program entertains requests for up to 10 XOs. The efforts to support, translate and develop software in Vietnamese fits the program really well if we do the application right. We may be able to get between 4 and 8 XO-1s which is what you need to support what we currently have in Vietnam.
Developing for Sugar environment and XO machine could be done without the machine. But it's definitely the best if we could have some and do real things on them, instead of running Sugar inside a GNU/Linux system.
I should not be the requestor, but I will certainly help polish the English application for Contributors laptops, and help usher the request through the process.
If approved, the Contributors program pays the shipping, but we will
need help in Hanoi to get the non-dutiable educational materials
exception if we are to ship XOs directly from OLPC.
3. G1G1 XOs redonated for the VVV project or project expansion to
nearby villages. The 2 XOs that I sent over to Ms. Nguyet are
re-donated XO-1s. I have 5 more at my home. 2 of those need to have
the clock- brick black screen problem fixed and they should be fine.
I'll do that!
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Fix_Clock

Three are working perfectly now but all 5 and the 2 Nguyet has, have older style batteries that may not last as long as the newer batteries I put in the original VVV XOs. I can order the new replacement batteries from a retailer for $25 US each if we have total failures.
So glad to hear that. You must have loved the project and the children so much :-).
Just my opinion, thank you for taking your time reading it :-)

All the best,

--
Yang Nguyen
Web log: http://proginno.wordpress.com/