Re: OLPC Vietnam Meeting June, 2010 and discussion

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Yang Ha Nguyen <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Ms. Severs, hi everyone,
>
>> Sin Chao!
>
> Actually, it's the letter "x", not "s" ("Xin chào" or "Xin chao", without
> diacritic) :-)
>
>> My reply: Thank you all. My heart is full! I am so enthused to see that
>> there are Vietnamese and others in Vietnam to help grow and support my
>> personal goal to make Open Learning available to the poorest children in
>> Vietnam! When I left Vietnam in January, I knew that the project I began was
>> no longer "my project." For it to succeed, it must be a collaborative
>> project and especially must be embraced by the Vietnamese Open Learning
>> Community. I had a very productive meeting with Rabi from OLE Nepal in
>> Boston recently. I agree with your assessment that OLE Nepal is a very good
>> model for OLPC Vietnam to emulate.
>
> Could you please share with us more details about the Open Learning
> Community (OLE) model of Nepal? Some resources would be great. At the first
> meeting on last Saturday, Mr. Stinckwick did talk briefly about the model,
> the community and the results in Nepal. I just got the basic idea. I think
> we should do some analysis about the model of Nepal, its achievements as
> well as its limitations and mistakes. By that way, we can apply the similar
> model to Vietnam, practically and effectively.

I think someone should read carefully all the blogs, website of OLE
and made a small presentation
for next OLPC Vietnam developers meeting.

>> 2. Re: the need for XOs for Developers and how to get them. I can help
>> with that! How many XOs do you think we need realistically to test with, in
>> addition to sticks for TOAST? The Contributors Program entertains requests
>> for up to 10 XOs. The efforts to support, translate and develop software in
>> Vietnamese fits the program really well if we do the application right. We
>> may be able to get between 4 and 8 XO-1s which is what you need to support
>> what we currently have in Vietnam.
>
> Developing for Sugar environment and XO machine could be done without the
> machine. But it's definitely the best if we could have some and do real
> things on them, instead of running Sugar inside a GNU/Linux system.

I think 4 XOs for developers could be fine at the beginning.

Yang are you free with your friends before the end of the week to
discuss together about Sugar applications ?
We could talk in my work offices if you don't mind (near CNF).
Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk