Re: OLPC Vietnam Meeting June, 2010 and discussion

Sin Chao!
Emails from Serge and Quynh are copied below so that we can move this discussion to the OLPCVietnam Google Group and all be on the same page.

My reply: Thank you all. My heart is full! I am so enthused to see that there are Vietnamese and others in Vietnam to help grow and support my personal goal to make Open Learning available to the poorest children in Vietnam! When I left Vietnam in January, I knew that the project I began was no longer "my project." For it to succeed, it must be a collaborative project and especially must be embraced by the Vietnamese Open Learning Community. I had a very productive meeting with Rabi from OLE Nepal in Boston recently. I agree with your assessment that OLE Nepal is a very good model for OLPC Vietnam to emulate.

1. Re: Mr. Quynh's work getting SOAS and Trisquel TOAST working. Congratulations. That's way above my head, but I'll work on catching up with the technical piece when I can find the time. I can see what a big help that access to Sugar will be for Developers in VN!

2. Re: the need for XOs for Developers and how to get them. I can help with that! How many XOs do you think we need realistically to test with, in addition to sticks for TOAST? The Contributors Program entertains requests for up to 10 XOs. The efforts to support, translate and develop software in Vietnamese fits the program really well if we do the application right. We may be able to get between 4 and 8 XO-1s which is what you need to support what we currently have in Vietnam.

(The XO 1.5's are in really short supply... probably not available just now. But we should keep that in mind for if and when the Education Ministry is willing to consider purchasing Open Learning Hardware.  I have been trying to get one to put through the paces but without success yet.)

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Contributors_program
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Contributors_program/Project_proposal_form

 I should not be the requestor, but I will certainly help polish the English application for Contributors laptops, and help usher the request through the process.

If approved, the Contributors program pays the shipping, but we will need help in Hanoi to get the non-dutiable educational materials exception if we are to ship XOs directly from OLPC.

3. G1G1 XOs redonated for the VVV project or project expansion to nearby villages. The 2 XOs that I sent over to Ms. Nguyet are re-donated XO-1s. I have 5 more at my home. 2 of those need to have the clock- brick black screen problem fixed and they should be fine. I'll do that!
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Fix_Clock

Three are working perfectly now  but all 5 and the 2 Nguyet has, have older style batteries that may not last as long as the newer batteries I put in the original VVV XOs. I can order the new replacement batteries from a retailer for $25 US each if we have total failures.

I am hoping to get at least 3 more donated soon (waiting for follow-up) and the VVV project is listed at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Donate_Your_Get_One#Vietnam.2FHa_Long_Bay

However, this year, many XOs, more than 2000 were re-donated for Haiti relief efforts so there may not be so many more to be had. You can see I offer to pay shipping as an incentive to getting them. And, the people who donate these want the XOs to go to children...that should, ultimately be the destination.

That's it for today! Thanks again. Nancie:)
Nguyet lend me one of the XO. I will try to update the machine to a