Re: OLPC Vietnam Meeting June, 2010 and discussion

@Mike Dawson: Thank you very much for your email and "Briefing Note – One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) in Afghanistan" note!

On 10 June 2010 14:32, Mike Dawson <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi,

Greetings from Afghanistan.  Most encouraging to see the thought going
into achieving educational impact here.

We are also going down a pretty similar path here and right now working
on the curriculum and content tools.  We have been developing some
improvements to eXe learning for creating interactive educational
content very quickly / easily - see www.paiwastoon.af/eldep/ - it allows
even novice users to point and click their way to creating interactive
educational content and you can do so in any language you care to.

My recommendation at this stage would be to try and identify the major
educational challenges that you hope to address using OLPC - for example
from our case the major challenges were time for learning and feedback.
Are students dropping out?  Why?  Is there additional content that could
be provided through the XO that would persuade them to stay?  Would
modern language skills materials be helpful?  Is it lack of critical
thinking and analysis?  It's very tempting to look at beautiful answers
without first looking at what is the problem right now to begin with.

We also wrote a Briefing Note digging into some of the main issues
facing the Afghan education system - see www.paiwastoon.af/olpcbn/ -
maybe that also has some interesting ideas.

Regards,

-Mike

--
Cuong Dang