Re: OLPC Vietnam Meeting June, 2010 and discussion

Hi,

2010/6/10 Yang Ha Nguyen <[email protected]>
Could you please share with us more details about the Open Learning Community (OLE) model of Nepal? Some resources would be great. At the first meeting on last Saturday, Mr. Stinckwick did talk briefly about the model, the community and the results in Nepal. I just got the basic idea. I think we should do some analysis about the model of Nepal, its achievements as well as its limitations and mistakes. By that way, we can apply the similar model to Vietnam, practically and effectively.

Some details about OLPC Nepal can be found here:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Nepal

I think the path in VN might be quite different, with regards to NGO status and Government (Ministry of education involvement).
We need both grassroot development and a top-down approach (be it at different levels : village, comune, province, ministry, etc.).

2. Re: the need for XOs for Developers and how to get them. I can help with that! How many XOs do you think we need realistically to test with, in addition to sticks for TOAST? The Contributors Program entertains requests for up to 10 XOs. The efforts to support, translate and develop software in Vietnamese fits the program really well if we do the application right. We may be able to get between 4 and 8 XO-1s which is what you need to support what we currently have in Vietnam.
Developing for Sugar environment and XO machine could be done without the machine. But it's definitely the best if we could have some and do real things on them, instead of running Sugar inside a GNU/Linux system.

It seems to me that XO-1s are quite old (current XOs are 1.5 ? coming are 2.0 ?).
The question will be of updating these XOs-1 with uptodate softwares (i.e. Sugar), if it's possible or not?

By the way, for doing development on Sugar, it is recommended to do it not in Sugar but from GNU/Linux machines:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/ActivitiesGuideSugar/Introduction

Of course for testing development materials you need some Sugar machines but not necessarily XOs.

Regards

--
Vu Do Quynh (M.)
Hanoi, Vietnam