Re: OLPC Vietnam need you

2010/6/19 Quyen <[email protected]>
Hello,
I've just known about OLPC when I was browsing some IT forum.

Can I join this group? I've been working as a software developer for 3
years & I work with Java.

If I take part in this group I can do development, testing &
translation.

You should get some acquaintance with the Sugar environment. You can install it as a virtual machine to see what it looks like.

If you want to do development, there is some work to do about the issue of typing Vietnamese. I can't help you much about that as I'm not a programmer.

For translations, I believe the Sugar environment has been translated 100% by Clytie Siddall and others but may need some reviewing.

Also going on is translation of existing Flossmanuals (XO, Sugar, Turtle Activity) at http://en.flossmanuals.net
Miss Anh Nguyêt is taking on part of XO. Things need to get started on Sugar manual. You need of course to know a little bit Sugar to translate better.

Localized activities (in Vietnamese) are also needed. For that you need to know how activities are produced. There is one Flossmanuals about creating activities (here activity in Sugar is the term equivalent to application).

Activities that are on focus (programmation etc.) are Etoys (Serge Stinckwich) and an other candidate which is magicWords.

If you don't have an XO laptop to test the Sugar environment, you can use Sugar on a Stick (as live USB but no persistent file) or install it (http://sugarlabs.org/). You can also use Trisquel Toast (Ubuntu based, from http://trisquel.info/) which is, IMHO, a very good choice.

So there are many things to do. It's up to you, your own knowledge and interest.

--
Vu Do Quynh (M.)
Hanoi, Vietnam