Re: [HanoiLUG] OLPC Vietnam need you

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Yang Nguyen <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 05/13/2010 09:55 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>
> Hi all HNLugers,
>
> i'm part of the OLPC Vietnam group and we are looking for people
> (developers, graphic designers, educators, translators, ...) to help
> us develop applications, contents for XO machine in Vietnam and also
> to translate existing software in vietnamese. If you have some great
> ideas, you are welcome to join us in the OLPC Vietnam mailing-list
> (see below).
>
> You don't need an XO machine to develop, you can use Sugar (XO UI) on
> every platform: http://www.sugarlabs.org/
> I'm very knowledgeable in Squeak/EToys on the XO platform:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys
> If some people want to develop application in Smalltalk, i could made
> demos and some training in HN.
>
> If you dunno what is EToys, you can look at this presentation i made
> last year in HN:
> http://www.slideshare.net/SergeStinckwich/an-instrument-whose-music-is-ideas-2036947
> and more recently this Smalltalk presentation:
> http://www.slideshare.net/SergeStinckwich/pharo-an-innovative-and-opensource-smalltalk
>
> OLPC Vietnam: http://olpc.vn/
> OLPC Vietnam in OLPC wiki: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Vietnam
>
> If some of you are interested, we could organize a small meeting in HN
> very soon in order to know each other a little better.
> Best regards,
>

> Hi Serg Stinckwich and everyone,
>
> I heard about the project One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) a while ago and this
> is
> the first time I have heard about Etoys and XO machine.  I really love the
> idea of the project.  Now it comes to Vietnam and I hope can contribute
> something for it.

Hi Yang,
thank you for your reply.

> To be straight, I want to be a part of the developer community and tester
> for
> the XO machine and/or a translator (which I believe I could do relatively
> well).  I don't know much about Smalltalk.  The closest programming language
> to Smalltalk with which I have experiences is Common Lisp.  I have watched
> your presentation about Smalltalk, I think I'm beginning to understand the
> structure and the ideas of the language, but to develop with it needs time.
> Thought, I'm not afraid of giving it a shot.  It would be great if you could
> make some demos and training in Hanoi.  I will definitely join.

Yes Smalltalk is very to Lisp in his spirit.
BTW, Smalltalk is not the only way yo develop applications for the XO.
There is several alternatives described here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Programming_languages like Python, C/CC+, ...
I could help mainly on the Smalltalk side. We have also a mailing-list
for Smalltalk activities in Vietnam:

> To conclude, I'm much interested in OLPC and I want to contribute by
> developing applications (if possible), testing it and/or translate it.  Let
> us
> know if you're planning to organize a meeting in Hanoi.

Regarding translation, most of the existing software on XO is already
translated in vietnamese thank to the great help of Clytie Sydall:
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/vi/

I launch a doodle to find a date (29th may or 5th June).
Please add your name here: http://www.doodle.com/ytmxb3pff4zhexbu

Best regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich