Re: [HanoiLUG] OLPC Vietnam need you

Thank you Serge!
I am so pleased to see the interest in the June 5 meeting.
Have a great trip! Nancie:)

2010/5/27 Serge Stinckwich <[email protected]>
2010/5/27 Nancie Severs <[email protected]>:
> Dear Serge and OLPC HN volunteers!

Hi Nancy,

> I am thrilled to see that a few people will get together on June 5 in Hanoi
> to talk about OLPC Vietnam and Sugar Software Activities for Vietnam!

I will made also a visit of the Vung Vieng village the 29 and 30th may
and a report of this visit for the 5th june meeting.

> Hopefully you can get SOAS (Sugar on a stick) working. Ms. Nguyet has an XO.
> She has used it to learn some things so that she can answer questions from
> the people in the VVV in Vietnamese.  She can bring hers along to a meeting
> for demos. Is her email on this list and does she know about the June 5
> meeting date and location?
>
> Serge, Ms. Nguyet had one extra XO I recently sent also. The plan was to
> bring that one to Mr. Tuyen in the VVV at some point. If Nguyet has not yet
> delivered it, it might be useful for you to have 2 in Hanoi to experiment
> with the "mesh" and collaborative activities.

Yes, i hope that Ms Nguyet will attend the meeting and bring her two
XOs for demonstrations.
I think we need to apply to OLPC in order to have more XOs to give to
potentials developers in Vietnam
and to do like you said some experiments with collaborative applications.

> It is nice to see you here Mr. Quynh! Welcome Yang and Gwenhael
>
> It is my hope that OLPC Vietnam, especially volunteers in Hanoi and Ha Long
> Bay can collaborate and help each other. When Marina visited the VVV
> recently, she found that the teachers and children really need more
> instruction on how to use the XOs.  She suggests and I agree that the best
> thing would be to have a volunteer or some volunteers to teach in the VVV
> for a short time to teach more Activities with the XOs. It would be
> wonderful for everyone involved if the open software community in Vietnam
> could figure out how to give these opportunities to young Vietnamese.

We need to work on specific curriculum for vietnamese childrens and also setup
some training sessions for teachers. But this is a long term plan ;-)
I dunno how many teachers are in the VVV.

> Discussion of this point: I think the biggest obstacle we have encountered
> with the VVV project is that the teachers are not very comfortable using
> computers or the XOs. In Vietnam, it seems to me that the teachers are the
> "experts" and they teach the children what to do. But the XOs and Sugar are
> designed to teach children how to learn and figure things out hands on. We
> adults need to be able to sit down with a child and say, "I don't know how
> to do that. Let's figure it out together. If we can't figure it out, then
> lets find a way to get on the Internet and look at the Wiki or go to the
> Help Forum."

Yes you are right, teachers should be in the loop.

> I think that Ms. Hong in the VVV, copied on this email, has been working
> with the children and the XO some, as an extra-curricular activity. The
> children that have used the XOs the most, clearly know how to do the things
> they have been shown. It seems to me that they are not given independent
> time to play around with the programs. Progress has been limited too because
> they have had no previous exposure to any software or the Internet. I
> believe that if the children who know how to properly care for the XOs, and
> to preserve the battery life, can take them home and play with them, then
> the kids will figure lots of stuff out! There are a few kids out there,
> (like everywhere) to whom the hands on computing comes naturally. If we can
> identify and encourage those kids, perhaps we can sustain and grow the
> deployment.
>
> My goals:
> 1. Enlist volunteers familiar with Sugar who also use the Internet for IT
> support.
>
> 2. Bring the Internet to the VVV. There are tv and satellite cell phone
> signals out in the VVV already. What would be the most reliable and cost
> efficient way to bring Internet to the VVV. Discussions with Directors of
> the Floating Villages Cooperative and Indochina Junk Company perhaps could
> facilitate this with a cost sharing plan and or tourist fund-raising plan.

Yes good idea, we could made a short study of what kind of internet
connection could we bring to VVV, for what usage,
and we could fund it.

> 3. Regular use of the XOs by the children to learn skills to prepare them
> for higher education (high school) and employment in the tourist industry or
> elsewhere on the mainland. For example, Write and Paint and Scratch, Etoys,
> later Terminal, to learn and understand programming. Access to the Internet
> for Science research especially to teach skills for setting up and repairing
> solar technology for electricity and hot water.

Hum Terminal is not the right tool for me ;-) Scratch, EToys are much
better in my eyes.

> 4. Expand to the other floating villages that have no schools, no teachers
> or learning resources. Using XO proficient children and adults from the VVV
> to help with that.
>
> Serge, here are some questions to consider while visiting the VVV.

Ok, thank you Nancie, i will ask these questions and take some pictures.

> 1. There are about 24 kids in school in the VVV. How many school aged
> children are there in the other floating villages? Which village would be
> the best to target first. (Marina says that one tour guide she spoke to is
> very concerned that there is no school in his village and hopes to send his
> children to the VVV school.)
>
> 2. How can the XO project in the VVV  best be supported. In the VVV is the
> goal "1 laptop per child" or is shared instruction and a "lending library" a
> better model?
>
> 3.  Would access to the Internet improve things in the VVV for the children
> and for the adult community. Is Internet available, practical and how much
> would it cost?
>
> 4. Are the solar panels working and in use? Can you see or ask whether the
> equipment Nancie brought is generating electricity that benefits the VVV? (I
> am curious whether the suggestion of clean power for Ha Long Bay is taking
> root.)
>
> 5. Are there insurmountable problems with this deployment? (The biggest
> question I see going forward will be whether to continue it "volunteer" or
> to seek a "paid" model, either with support of the Vietnamese Education
> Ministry and more formal teacher training and involvement, or with corporate
> partners from the tourism industry, or  with an NGO.
>
> Have a wonderful visit. Please bring my best regards to everyone!

Thank you for your support.
Best regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

--
This email came from my XO computer from the One Laptop Per Child project.
Please check out One Laptop Per Child at http://laptop.org/ and help make the world a better place!