Re: OLPC Vietnam need you

On 06/19/2010 10:58 PM, Quyen wrote:
Hi Yang Nguyen,

I've surfed the links you sent as well as your recent discussions
here.
I now have a better understand about XO, Sugar, EToys...
I'm ready to do your assignment.

On Jun 19, 10:07 pm, Yang Ha Nguyen<[email protected]>  wrote:
On 06/19/2010 09:52 PM, Quyen wrote:

Hello,
I've just known about OLPC when I was browsing some IT forum.
Can I join this group? I've been working as a software developer for 3
years&    I work with Java.
If I take part in this group I can do development, testing&
translation.
Hear from you soon.
Thx!
Hi Quyen,

Welcome to OLPC Vietnam.

I just have been a member of OLPC Vietnam developer group for a while.
However, I think I could provide you with some good information about
the project. Allow me to include the original email of Serge Stinckwich
here:

i'm part of the OLPC Vietnam group and we are looking for people
(developers, graphic designers, educators, translators, ...) to help
us develop applications, contents for XO machine in Vietnam and also
to translate existing software in vietnamese. If you have some great
ideas, you are welcome to join us in the OLPC Vietnam mailing-list
(see below).
You don't need an XO machine to develop, you can use Sugar (XO UI) on
every platform:http://www.sugarlabs.org/
I'm very knowledgeable in Squeak/EToys on the XO platform:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys
If some people want to develop application in Smalltalk, i could made
demos and some training in HN.
If you dunno what is EToys, you can look at this presentation i made
last year in HN:
http://www.slideshare.net/SergeStinckwich/an-instrument-whose-music-i...
and more recently this Smalltalk presentation:
http://www.slideshare.net/SergeStinckwich/pharo-an-innovative-and-ope...
OLPC Vietnam:http://olpc.vn/
OLPC Vietnam in OLPC wiki:http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Vietnam
The first meeting in Hanoi was held on 5th June this year. Also a
summarization of Serge:

Hi all,
we were around 15 people for the 1st meeting of OLPC Vietnam developers.
I put some pictures of the event here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=221797&id=538054947&l=7d2be59155
I made a short presentation of the OLPC project and a report of my
visit to the Vung Vieng village.
My slides (report of the VV village visit) are available here:
http://www.slideshare.net/SergeStinckwich/visit-to-vung-vieng-village...
The conclusions of my visit are as following:
- every XOs are working and are used everyday by kids. They really enjoyed it.
- XOs are not part of a curriculum. This is more a leisure actitivity
at the moment.
- there is a problem with the local teachers: they only stay one year
in the village. We need to train them every year. Teachers need to be
more involved in the use of XOs in the classroom.
- Only a limited set of activities seems to be used by the children.
There is not enough vietnamese activities
- XOs need to be update to newer versions of Sugar (0.82.1 =>    0.88).
We need to select specific activities (with good vn translation) and
write some pedagogical documentation.
We also made some demos of the Sugar environment (on Linux&    XOs).
Some students present at the meeting are particularly interested in
developing Sugar applications.
One of the conclusion of this meeting is that we need to grow the
user&developer Sugar community in order to have more vietnamese
contents. This will be one our top priorities of the next months.
Regards
-- Serge Stinckwich UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam Every
DSL ends up being Smalltalkhttp://doesnotunderstand.org/
If you help time, please browse the archive of OLPC Vietnam mailing list
to get more information about our recent discussions.

Best regards,

--
Yang Nguyen
Web log:http://proginno.wordpress.com/

Actually there is no assignment, and I am not the one who is really in charge of OLPC Vietnam. I'm just a member of the group, like you are now.
If you are in Hanoi, we could have a small meeting to get to know about
each other and discuss about OLPC Vietnam.
All the best,