Re: [HanoiLUG] OLPC Vietnam need you

On 05/17/2010 12:00 PM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Serge Stinckwich
<[email protected]> wrote:

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Yang Nguyen <[email protected]> wrote:

On 05/13/2010 09:55 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

Hi all HNLugers,

i'm part of the OLPC Vietnam group and we are looking for people
(developers, graphic designers, educators, translators, ...) to help
us develop applications, contents for XO machine in Vietnam and also
to translate existing software in vietnamese. If you have some great
ideas, you are welcome to join us in the OLPC Vietnam mailing-list
(see below).

You don't need an XO machine to develop, you can use Sugar (XO UI) on
every platform: http://www.sugarlabs.org/
I'm very knowledgeable in Squeak/EToys on the XO platform:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys
If some people want to develop application in Smalltalk, i could made
demos and some training in HN.

If you dunno what is EToys, you can look at this presentation i made
last year in HN:
http://www.slideshare.net/SergeStinckwich/an-instrument-whose-music-is-ideas-2036947
and more recently this Smalltalk presentation:
http://www.slideshare.net/SergeStinckwich/pharo-an-innovative-and-opensource-smalltalk

OLPC Vietnam: http://olpc.vn/
OLPC Vietnam in OLPC wiki: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Vietnam

If some of you are interested, we could organize a small meeting in HN
very soon in order to know each other a little better.
Best regards,

Hi Serg Stinckwich and everyone,

I heard about the project One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) a while ago and this
is
the first time I have heard about Etoys and XO machine.  I really love the
idea of the project.  Now it comes to Vietnam and I hope can contribute
something for it.

Hi Yang,
thank you for your reply.

To be straight, I want to be a part of the developer community and tester
for
the XO machine and/or a translator (which I believe I could do relatively
well).  I don't know much about Smalltalk.  The closest programming language
to Smalltalk with which I have experiences is Common Lisp.  I have watched
your presentation about Smalltalk, I think I'm beginning to understand the
structure and the ideas of the language, but to develop with it needs time.
Thought, I'm not afraid of giving it a shot.  It would be great if you could
make some demos and training in Hanoi.  I will definitely join.

Yes Smalltalk is very to Lisp in his spirit.
BTW, Smalltalk is not the only way yo develop applications for the XO.
There is several alternatives described here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Programming_languages like Python, C/CC+, ...
I could help mainly on the Smalltalk side. We have also a mailing-list
for Smalltalk activities in Vietnam:

To conclude, I'm much interested in OLPC and I want to contribute by
developing applications (if possible), testing it and/or translate it.  Let
us
know if you're planning to organize a meeting in Hanoi.

Regarding translation, most of the existing software on XO is already
translated in vietnamese thank to the great help of Clytie Sydall:
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/vi/

I launch a doodle to find a date (29th may or 5th June).
Please add your name here: http://www.doodle.com/ytmxb3pff4zhexbu

3 people reply right now for a meeting about OLPC in Vietnam.
I plan to visit the OLPC pilot experience in Vung Vieng fishing
village the 29th May.
So we could made a meeting one week after, the 5th June and i could
made a short report of my visit.

Best regards,

I got it. Thought, I'm little bit disappointed that there are just too few people who want to join in :-).

--

Yang Nguyen
Personal blog: http://proginno.wordpress.com