Re: [OLPCVietnam] Getting Internet to Remote Locations in Vietnam

Hi,

2010/7/10 Nancie Severs <[email protected]>

I don't know if this is a good fit, or even necessary to bring Internet to the VVV. As I know the cost of Internet service will be the major issue. I was hoping to get a donor involved to pay the costs for perhaps, the unusual marketing benefits that I thought demonstrating their product in Ha Long Bay might present. Do you think we should we pursue this?

One of the major Mobile phone service provider in Vietnam is Viettel. It has recently deployed 3G technologies.
Viettel has also made a plea to connect all schools of Vietnam to internet, with a free access (I'm not sure of that).

Looking at their web site http://www.viettel.com.vn/

There are several informations in Vietnamese in relation with (freely) connecting schools to internet with various technologies.
It could be worthwhile that somebody (Anh Nguyet, Tuyên, witht the VVV school headmaster ?) try to get in touch with Viettel and explained them about the VVV OLPC project and see what they could do. I think Viettel might be sensibilized too at the marketing value of such a support.

Maybe Viettel could also be interested with the technology developed by EeZee.

I'm going to Ha Long with AUF on 16th-18th July for holidays. i'll try to get to the VVV Village by my own means on 17th. I'll bring a GPS unit with me.

Regards
--
Vu Do Quynh (M.)
Hanoi, Vietnam