Re: Next steps for OLPC Vietnam ?

Hi Serge,

sorry, for not replying earlier.

I wish we would have the chance to meet up in person as online just
takes a lot of time.

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Serge Stinckwich
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> i talked with Mr Rabi Karmacharya, executive director at OLE Nepal and
> Ms Nguyet yesterday evening about their activities in Nepal and the
> future of OLPC in Vietnam. It was quite interesting and i think OLPC
> Vietnam should follow the same road.

Yes, good idea. But I do not think many know exactly what road OLE took.

> I would like to know if OLPC-Vietnam is formally setup in vietnam as a
> NGO (or something like that) or if it just an informal group right
> now.

No, it is not so easy to set up an NGO and it could create a lot of
overhead. What Mike was doing in Afghanistan is using his company and
making one "department" more or less independent coordinating OLPC and
applying for grants.

I think this is quite important if OLPC Vietnam want to apply for
> grants in order to have some local developers, graphic designer and
> contents providers.

Yes, we need it. What do you suggest, how to procede?

> I would like to help from the technical point of view. I think it is
> really important to design some specific vietnamese contents and
> projects for XO (like they did in Nepal). I will talk about XO on the
> Hanoi Linux mailing list. Maybe some people might be interested to
> join and i could help in order to train them (especially on the
> EToys/Squeak aspect).
> I see on the OLPC Vietnam web site that you have already apply for XO.

Where exactly did you see the info about application for computers?
There is no application up at the moment as far as I remember.

> Did you receive some of them ?

We did not receive any.

> I would also like to visit also the Vung Vieng Fishing Village in the
> near future.

Good idea.

> Best regards,

- All the best,