Re: [ttylinux:22] Cloud OS

Krishna wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I reached to this ttylinux while I was searching for a command line
> linux with smallest footprint.
>
> I need some information from people who have used it before.
>
> Can I create a virtual image of this OS.
> Can I install Java and run Java programs on this OS.
>
> Thanks.
> Krishna

You can download the ttylinux ISO file and use it with
several virtual machine systems. I use VirtualBox and
qemu.

If you download VirtualBox http://www.virtualbox.org/
you can make an x86 machine and boot the ttylinux ISO
as a CD-ROM. Make a virtual hard drive and install
ttylinux if you want.

With qemu http://wiki.qemu.org/Main_Page
you can mount the ttylinux ISO file with a loop device
at a directory called "cdrom" and run a command like:

qemu                                           \
  -cpu coreduo                                 \
  -smp 2,maxcpus=2,cores=2,threads=2,sockets=2 \
  -m 64                                        \
  -net nic,model=e1000                         \
  -kernel cdrom/boot/vmlinuz                   \
  -initrd cdrom/boot/filesys.gz                \
  -append "initrd=/boot/filesys.gz root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=10240"

I really don't know anything about Java, but you
wont be using ttylinux or its tools to compile
byte code from Java source. If you can make the byte
code elsewhere, you probably can use it on a run time
engine working on ttylinux.

I suggest you get VirtualBox and boot
the ttylinux-i686 ISO and install it onto
a 320 MB virtual hard drive. Then get the
binary JRE, or maybe Java SE Embedded (I
don't know what is Java SE), and install
it. See if it works, and let us know. I'd
do this if I didn't have so many other things
to do.