What do I need to modify to make iptables (1.4.10) work?

First of all, I discovered ttylinux a week ago and I am totally
impressed...it's a precious, practical and functional minimalistic
distro... I LOVE IT already!
THANK YOU so much for creating it and making it available.

All works perfectly well, except for one thing. I have upgraded the
kernel to 2.6.35.10 (which is the one I currently use for all my other
linux installs), and iptables to 1.4.10 (which is also what I am using
elsewhere), and have also replaced the original ttylinux firewall with
a custom one (used on all my other systems, which are slackware-
based).
Now.... this is the same exact combination of kernel, modules,
iptables executable and firewall script that works perfectly
everywhere else.
With ttylinux (ver. i686-12.3), apparently modprobe has a problem with
reading three modules:
iptable_filter, iptable_mangle and iptable_nat, and finds them to be
faulty.
The firewall starts normally and the error message is:

"/sbin/iptables: iptables v1.4.10: can't initialize iptables table
'filter'" iptables who? (do you need to insmod?) Perhaps iptables or
your kernel needs to be upgraded"
[...and the same goes for iptable_mangle and iptable_nat]

When I modprobe each of those modules, I get:

"error inserting iptable_x: unknown symbol in module or unknown
parameter (see dmesg)"

In the dmesg log, I find:

"iptable_filter: Unknown symbol ipt_alloc_initial_table (err 0)"
[...and other similar error messages]

Again, this is the same combination of kernel, modules, iptables
executable and firewall script which work perfectly well elsewhere, so
the only variable here is something within ttylinux causing this.
I've tried replacing the module programs (modprobe, depmod, etc.) with
the ones from my main slackware install, but the result is exactly the
same.

What could be causing this?  Thank you for your help.

Pablo