Re: Pacman and software repositories?

no question is stupid, not asking is stupid!

most archlinux packages are compressed with xz format (high ratio)
while ttylinux only have bzip2 compression on board.
pacman packages are only simple tarballs (.tar) which are compressed.
Under ubuntu my main host system I prepare the package in the
following way :

install the "xz-utils" package "sudo apt-get install xz-utils"

download a package from archlinux.org
for example the nano editor (vi I myself not know)

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/nano/download/nano-2.2.6-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

then do some piping on the command line

xz -c -d nano-2.2.6-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz | bzip2 -c -z > nano-2.2.6-1-
i686.tbz

for pacman it seems important that the package ends with "-i686.tbz"
for determine the architecture?

transfer the .tbz to your ttylinux instance and there you simple
install it with

pacman -i nano-2.2.6-1-i686.tbz

Look for the dependencies of the package. In most cases you also need
some other packages. I myself install the mc package to my ttylinux
instance. The midnight-commander (mc) is a norton commander clone for
linux.