Re: [ttylinux:123] Re: No log for kernel build failure.

BruceFerjulian wrote:
> Nope, since everything seems to be continuously cleaned I had to
> remove the redirect in the script that was sending the output to a log
> that was not persistent after the failure. After removing the
> redirect, I was presented with some questions which probably are new
> and don't match a configuration you saved away. Once I answered the
> questions interactively the kernel build was successful.  Not pretty
> but at least I can build.
>
> Two questions. I need to modify a few things and can't figure out yet
> where they are buried.
>
> 1. Want to change ( eth0 ) to be a fixed address but even if I loop
> mount the IMG file and make my changes to be DHCP=NO the nic always
> starts as DHCP when I boot the ISO.

Try these steps:

     $ make mount
     $ vi mnt/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
     $ make umount
     $ make fsys
     $ make boot

and then try that ISO.

> 2. Why does everything start from scratch, can't ( gnu make ) pick up a
> change say to one thing and only build a single time unless you clean.
> It seems this learning process is a continuous start from scratch
> every time you make even a simple change.

Because the ttylinux build process uses *make* as a user
interface; instead of having a bunch of different scripts
to invoke from the command line you use "make <thing-to-make>"
It is not the best use of make.

There is no good description, I think, of the various
make targets, but you can make individual packages and
then remake the file system image with "make fsys", so
as to not start all over. "make boot" remakes the ISO
from the kernel and file system image.