Re: [ttylinux:176] [RFC]Develop ttylinux -- Help Wanted, or Not

harryxiyou wrote:
> Hi douglas,
>
> Where is our ttylinux's repository? I wanna develop ttylinux with you.
> Can you tell me how to join you quickly and understand all our srouces
> easily?
>
> Any comments?

There only is the website from which you can download
the ttylinux build system and distribution ISOs. There
will be a very few binary packages there that can be
installed into a running ttylinux distribution with
ttylinux pacman. I don't have anything different from
the build system that is as you download it from the
website, except of course I am updating what I have to
upload for the next release. There is no other
repository of anything. I am open to using git, svn, hg,
whatever, if someone sets it up, but I'll always have
the official version in a directory on my computer and
upload to the website for distribution.

Anyone can contribute any time. Send problems, patches
to this list; for that the only thing you need to join
is this mailing list. You can otherwise email patches
to me and not join anything.

Several folks have tried to contribute, most have
gone in a direction that ttylinux is not going.
Sometimes I've been to busy to do much about some of
the good ideas (sorry Jeff).

But really, ttylinux is such a small project; there is
so little *corrective* technical feedback, and I am
constantly unable to make things right. OpenEmbedded
folks call it a hack, BuildRoot folks laugh, Tiny
Core Linux claims to be the only small Linux, etc.,
etc., etc. I'm just some guy who like to do this
ttylinux thing and make it available: there is not much
of a project here.

Having said all that, here is something like a "How to
Help ttylinux"...

*Rules To Embrace*,
when considering if you want to contribute to ttyliux:

=> BASH - Bash is used to implement the ttylinux build
          system. Bash is a fundamental part of the ttylinux
          distributions; ttylinux is a very small system with
          few programming resources, and bash is a *very*
          capable scripting language.

=> GLIBC - Where glibc is too small ttylinux has uClibc. So
           far, with other standard Linux distributions, with
           glibc a careful person can copy libraries and
           programs from other typical Linux distributions
           into a ttylinux system.

=> RAM DISK - As distributed, ttylinux mounts a root file
              system on a RAM disk, not an initramfs; the
              RAM disk root file system is a true file
              system (ext2/3/4). An ephemeral initramfs is
              not used at boot-time.

***** ttylinux must be smaller than other Linux distributions
      available as bootable CDROM ISO. It's root file system
      size must be static and smaller than, and it must use
      less RAM than, things like Tiny Core Linux. Don't let
      the ISO size fool you, the ttylinux ISO has documents,
      kernel configuration, separate binary packages, debug
      kernel, etc., but its run-time is the smallest.

***** Minimalism: it's hard. As much as you think of what
      can be done, you need to think of what can be not
      done, left out, simplified. Have a legitimate problem,
      (vetted by me) before considering a solution.  ttylinux
      is a palce to see what can be not done, not a place to
      see what can be done.

*Where Help is Needed*

Halp! I need smart folks.

=> The tool chain builder: xbuildtool. It seems OK so far;
   it seems to be doing the job, but I'm no expert.  It
   really needs a tool chain building expert to closely
   review the build scripts.

=> Why the heck can't does the alsa build choke when glibc
   is in the build-root staging directory? wtf?

=> Kernel configuration, udev, and modprobe configuration:
   things seems to work but...
   mother udev freaking rules, how do they work?
   No, don't tell me; just closely review the ttylinux udev
   usage, from the init scripts to the udev and modeprobe
   rules.

=> Dial-up networking: someone who has and uses dial-up
   should work with me to make sure that works with ttylinux.

=> Package building: are the packages built right? Really?
   Are there any host platform configurations creeping into
   a cross-built ttylinux distribution? How do I know?

=> Add-on packages. I can't host much more, but I'd like to
   see a lot more in the pkg-cfg directory.

=> A "make menuconfig" would be cool, but: 1) how big is
   that, and 2) the platforms configurations need to be
   simplified.

=> The build process should have an option to use fake root
   so you don't have to be root.