Re: [ttylinux:177] [RFC]Develop ttylinux -- Help Wanted, or Not

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Douglas Jerome <[email protected]> wrote:
> harryxiyou wrote:
>> Hi douglas,
>>
>> Where is our ttylinux's repository? I wanna develop ttylinux with you.
>> Can you tell me how to join you quickly and understand all our srouces
>> easily?
>>
>> Any comments?
>
> There only is the website from which you can download
> the ttylinux build system and distribution ISOs. There
> will be a very few binary packages there that can be
> installed into a running ttylinux distribution with
> ttylinux pacman. I don't have anything different from
> the build system that is as you download it from the
> website, except of course I am updating what I have to
> upload for the next release. There is no other
> repository of anything. I am open to using git, svn, hg,
> whatever, if someone sets it up, but I'll always have
> the official version in a directory on my computer and
> upload to the website for distribution.
>
> Anyone can contribute any time. Send problems, patches
> to this list; for that the only thing you need to join
> is this mailing list. You can otherwise email patches
> to me and not join anything.
>
> Several folks have tried to contribute, most have
> gone in a direction that ttylinux is not going.
> Sometimes I've been to busy to do much about some of
> the good ideas (sorry Jeff).
>
> But really, ttylinux is such a small project; there is
> so little *corrective* technical feedback, and I am
> constantly unable to make things right. OpenEmbedded
> folks call it a hack, BuildRoot folks laugh, Tiny
> Core Linux claims to be the only small Linux, etc.,
> etc., etc. I'm just some guy who like to do this
> ttylinux thing and make it available: there is not much
> of a project here.
>
> Having said all that, here is something like a "How to
> Help ttylinux"...

Hmmm..., maybe you are right. Anyway, we just do things which
benefit  people.  I will stand by you and do some trivial stuffs
for this project ;-)

> *Rules To Embrace*,
> when considering if you want to contribute to ttyliux:
>
> => BASH - Bash is used to implement the ttylinux build
>          system. Bash is a fundamental part of the ttylinux
>          distributions; ttylinux is a very small system with
>          few programming resources, and bash is a *very*
>          capable scripting language.

Yeah, absolutely right ;-)

> => GLIBC - Where glibc is too small ttylinux has uClibc. So
>           far, with other standard Linux distributions, with
>           glibc a careful person can copy libraries and
>           programs from other typical Linux distributions
>           into a ttylinux system.

GLIBC also has some strong apis i have used in some projects.

> => RAM DISK - As distributed, ttylinux mounts a root file
>              system on a RAM disk, not an initramfs; the
>              RAM disk root file system is a true file
>              system (ext2/3/4). An ephemeral initramfs is
>              not used at boot-time.
>
> ***** ttylinux must be smaller than other Linux distributions
>      available as bootable CDROM ISO. It's root file system
>      size must be static and smaller than, and it must use
>      less RAM than, things like Tiny Core Linux. Don't let
>      the ISO size fool you, the ttylinux ISO has documents,
>      kernel configuration, separate binary packages, debug
>      kernel, etc., but its run-time is the smallest.
>
> ***** Minimalism: it's hard. As much as you think of what
>      can be done, you need to think of what can be not
>      done, left out, simplified. Have a legitimate problem,
>      (vetted by me) before considering a solution.  ttylinux
>      is a palce to see what can be not done, not a place to
>      see what can be done.

Sure.

> *Where Help is Needed*
>
> Halp! I need smart folks.
>
> => The tool chain builder: xbuildtool. It seems OK so far;
>   it seems to be doing the job, but I'm no expert.  It
>   really needs a tool chain building expert to closely
>   review the build scripts.

I may do this job as you wish ;-)

> => Why the heck can't does the alsa build choke when glibc
>   is in the build-root staging directory? wtf?

I don't know why, but we can study it later.

> => Kernel configuration, udev, and modprobe configuration:
>   things seems to work but...
>   mother udev freaking rules, how do they work?
>   No, don't tell me; just closely review the ttylinux udev
>   usage, from the init scripts to the udev and modeprobe
>   rules.

I am just a beginner for things. I will study them and discuss
with you.

> => Dial-up networking: someone who has and uses dial-up
>   should work with me to make sure that works with ttylinux.
>
> => Package building: are the packages built right? Really?
>   Are there any host platform configurations creeping into
>   a cross-built ttylinux distribution? How do I know?

That's may be the problems :-/

> => Add-on packages. I can't host much more, but I'd like to
>   see a lot more in the pkg-cfg directory.
>
> => A "make menuconfig" would be cool, but: 1) how big is
>   that, and 2) the platforms configurations need to be
>   simplified.
>
> => The build process should have an option to use fake root
>   so you don't have to be root.

So we have many problems for ttylinux, we should try our best
to trun ttylinux to be stronger and easy to use, right?

--
Thanks
Harry Wei