Re: [ttylinux:248] git..............

On 04/14/12 18:51, ggbutcher wrote:
First, I owe Douglas an apology for asking him to pull a change he'd
already made. Bad form, on my part...
No problem, we're good.

My immediate goal is to make a variant of the ttylinux build system that
pukes out a g++ environment, for various c++ things I'm doing at work.
I think it should be a matter of un-commenting two lines in the gcc
build script and adding a bunch of file names in the file lists.

I started this whole business by cloning djerome/ttylinux on my local box.
Got that working, including finding a bug in the gcc bld.sh script,
which I sent to Douglas as a diff patch. But that arrangement wasn't
going to easily support making that build system variant available to
folk, so I forked djerome/ttylinux to butchergg/ttylinux on github, and
cloned that to my local machine.

Re-syncing my fork turned out to be not so intuitive, and there are a
number of different approaches out there in the blog/forum space. What I
settled upon, after I set up djerome/ttylinux as an upstream remote
(*git remote add upstream https://github.com/djerome/ttylinux*), is to
periodically execute these commands on my local machine on the master
branch:*

**git pull upstream master*

*git push*

 From there, I think I can do merges on my local branches to keep them
fresh. I'll accept comment and criticism on this approach, as this git
thing is coming to me slowly. I want to come up with an approach for
supplying fixes and enhancements in a form that Douglas can use.
Really, I just prefer patches be sent to the group so that
any other folks can use.

And I am so git illiterate. I don't want to do git things I
do not understand.

My views on git are mostly unprintable.