Re: [ttylinux:282] Errors on gmp compile - can't find GLIBC 2.14

On 09/21/12 09:41, RyanJ wrote:
I'm compiling ttylinux from the master tarball (
https://github.com/djerome/ttylinux/tarball/master ) on a Debian 5.0.7
amd64 VM and have successfully managed to compile the cross-tool chain
as well as a portion of ttylinux. However, on the compile for gmp-4.3.2,
the build process errors and stops. In the log
(/tmp/djerome-ttylinux-9db959/ttylinux-build/var/log/gmp-4.3.2.log), the
error is:

make[1]: Entering directory
`/tmp/djerome-ttylinux-9db9595/ttylinux-build/build/packages/gmp-4.3.2'
./gen-psqr 64 0 >mpn/perfsqr.h || (rm -f mpn/perfsqr.h; exit 1)
./gen-psqr: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by
./gen-psqr)

Sure enough, the Debian 5.0.7 system in question has glibc 2.7 in /lib.
But I don't think that's where it should be looking.

I've successfully gotten around this issue by compiling glibc 2.14 from
source and replacing the stock 2.7 that ships with Debian 5.0.7 amd64,
but this seems incredibly hacky as the cross-tool chain should have
these libraries available (looking closely, they're there, but the path
doesn't seem to be passed correctly into the build for gmp).

Thoughts?
I will look at this tonight, I hope.

It is possible that gmp is building a host-resident helper
program. Or, maybe it checks the host environment but actually
uses the target libs; this is not uncommon as most package
maintainers don't do much to help cross-builders.

I'll let you know what I find, and try to do something about
it in the next release.

Thanks for reporting this.