Re: [ttylinux:285] Errors on gmp compile - can't find GLIBC 2.14

On 09/22/12 08:22, RyanJ wrote:
Hi Douglas,

That's right, x86-64 to x86-64. I did consider using a 32 bit VM to do it (I have one spun up for that) but I stopped halfway through.
Potentially also related, I found I needed pkg-config gettext packages
as well, or a few other things (I don't recall off the top of my head)
wouldn't compile either.
Thanks.

Ryan

I've been away a few days and just got back to this.

I think the gmp package configuration is using something(s) from
the target configuration for the host-resident tools, because I think
you don't really need glibc-2.14 on the host.

I've stepped through the gmp cross-build steps and had the
host-resident compile/link use verbose flags. I don't see how
gen-psqr is getting glibc version requirements; probably the
compile/link-time dynamic linking refers to the x86-64 target
glibc-2.14 but the attempted running of ./gen-psqr sees the
host /lib/glibc-2.7 and balks.

gen-psqr is one of several programs built and executed on
the host during the gmp cross-build process as seen by its
usage in the build log with ./gen-psqr, a fact I completely
missed in the original post:

> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/tmp/djerome-ttylinux-9db9595/ttylinux-build/build/packages/gmp-4.3.2'
> ./gen-psqr 64 0 >mpn/perfsqr.h || (rm -f mpn/perfsqr.h; exit 1)
> ./gen-psqr: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by
> ./gen-psqr)

I am wondering if the LD environment variable set in line 60 in
/tmp/djerome-ttylinux-9db959/ttylinux-build/pkg-cfg/gmp-4.3.2/bld.sh
is being used during the link phase of building the host-resident
build tools. That line is:

LD="${XBT_LD} --sysroot=${TTYLINUX_SYSROOT_DIR}" \

That is not intended to be used to link anything for running on
the host.

I can't yet tell if that is a problem; when I check my gen-psqr with
ldd it shows /lib64/libc.so.6 which happens to be glibc-2.14.90
on my host.

I'm still exploring the problem...