Re: ttylinux virtio support

All we need are the virtio, virtio_blk, virtio_pci, and virtio_net modules in the kernel. Then the devices will show up as normal disk devices (well, /dev/vda, etc).

This would be useful as a lot of people are using ttylinux in virtualized environments.

On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:45:11 PM UTC-6, djerome wrote:
On 08/01/12 07:42, Sandro Munda wrote:
> Hello Jerome,
>
> First of all, thanks for ttylinux. It's a really great project !
>
> I'm trying to boot a ttylinux using Grub 0.97 bootloader on
> libvirt/kvm. It works great when the hard disk is configured as an
> IDE. When I try to switch the libvirt/kvm configuration to a Virtio
> disk, I have a kernel panic:
>
> Cannot open root device "vda1" or unknown-block(2,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)
>
> The ttylinux is compiled with the support of Virtio:
>
> CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI=y
> CONFIG_VIRTIO_BALLOON=y
> CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK=y
> CONFIG_VIRTIO_NET=y
> CONFIG_VIRTIO=y
> CONFIG_VIRTIO_RING=y
>
> Maybe can you help me ?
> Thanks very much !
>
> Sandro Munda
> <[email protected]>

I don't use grub or virtio, so I don't know.

Which ttylinux are you using? i486, i686,
x86_64, or ...

But I think someone has shown me how to do
this; however, I cannot find it in my email archive
or in the old forum. I don't remember what I did
with the information.

I am cross-posting this to the ttylinux Google
group; maybe someone knows what to do
for this.

It seems that some kernel parameter needs
to be given and maybe a /dev node needs to be
created which might be a udev rule for some
ttylinux variants. This really sounds familiar, but
I can't find it right now. I'll keep looking.