Re: [ttylinux:314] Unable to built xtools for i686 / 14.1

On 02/17/13 02:29, [email protected] wrote:
Hi,

I am using for my ttylinux boot-from-network and I created root file system in cpio format, It is similar to tar, but cpio is used for initramdisk in most linux distributions -
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt

When I have root file system in ext2 format and I add "init=/bin/bash" to kernel command line, system started directly in shell. No startup scripts executed. Now I can "mount -t proc proc /proc" and in /proc/mount is visible, that not only proc is mounted. Devtmpfs and ext2 are already mounted too.
 But ttylinux started from the cpio initrd do not have pre-mounted
devtmpfs. Devtmpfs was in 12.1 mounted by process udevd. Now in 14.1
udevd do not mount it. I do not know, why udevd change its behaviour.
I solved this problem in rc.sysinit. I added mount of devtmpfs after
proc mount.
  Reg.
A cpio archive is OK for using as an *ephemeral* root file system,
typically from which several kernel modules may be loaded, and
then the cpio archive is released and its memory reclaimed. But a
cpio archived used as an initramfs is not a true file system and I've
found it lacking in some expected capabilities.

For a working root file system, used until system shutdown, a real
file system such as an ext3 is best. If you try to use a cpio archive
for this you will find odd limitations and weird behaviours. A cpio
archive does not function the same as a true file system. At least,
this has been the case in my experience. Maybe newer Linux
kernels handle a cpio archive better than previously. Maybe I did
know how to use a cpio archive. In any case, you are on your
own when using a cpio archive as the working root file system.