Re: [ttylinux:326] Running ttylinux-flash on a non ttylinux Linux host

On Friday, March 1, 2013 12:26:06 PM UTC+8, djerome wrote:
On 02/28/13 20:58, galapogos wrote:
> OK, turns out it needs to be /mnt/flash and /dev/sdd.
So, like I said about exactly precise, even I missed that...

> However, after that I got another error message saying LILO isn't in
> the PATH. I'm not using LILO on my Ubuntu so I had to boot up from a
> ttylinux CD-ROM, mount the CD-ROM, and run the install script, which
> worked!
>
> Booted up into ttylinux on my USB flash drive after that perfectly.
> Thanks!
>
> However, I have a few more questions...
>
> 1. I wish to change LILO options in lilo.conf. I tried doing this then
> running lilo again, but I get the following error message:
> Fatal: raid_setup: stat("%TTYLINUX_BOOT_DEV%")
> How do I rectify this?
Ooo, I think that is not a good idea. The lilo.conf that was used to put
the lilo boot
loader code into the boot sector of the flash drive was built and used
by the
ttylinux-flash script; it is on the flash drive, not in the live RAM
disk system. Mount
the flash drive at /mnt/flash and see the /mnt/flash/boot/lio.conf file;
this
is the file you want to change. The you can run lilo from the command
line, like:

lilo -C /mnt/flash/boot/lilo.conf

This is scary. I do not expect it to work. There is a better description,
it is section "3. Lilo Method" here:
http://ttylinux.net/Documents/multi/node46.html
Thanks for the quick reply. I did that, and it worked.

> 2. I wish to suppress all boot up message, including the kernel
> printks. Is this possible with the stock kernel by appending something
> in LILO?
Change this line (preserving the actual <UUID> string)

       append = "ro ttylinux-flash=<UUID>"

to be

      append = "quiet ro ttylinux-flash=<UUID>"

Thanks. This sorta worked as well, except there are still some LILO messages that need cleaning up, and there are some other messages which I believe are from initrd that are appearing, stuff like "file systems checked ......... [ OK]" and other info messages which I wish to remove as well. Basically I'm trying to boot up without any messages at all, all the way till the shell.

> 3. I wish to auto-login, is this possible?
That would involve opening the initrd file system, making some changes
I can't think of now, and then remaking the initrd file system. I really
do not
know about making an automatic login.
OK, hopefully someone else has some knowledge of this? Would this be specific to ttylinux, or will the procedure be similar to other distributions?

Once again, thanks! Really appreciate the help so far.