Re: [ttylinux:330] Running ttylinux-flash on a non ttylinux Linux host

On Saturday, March 2, 2013 8:22:13 AM UTC+8, djerome wrote:
On 03/01/13 01:36, galapogos wrote:
First of all, I apologize for the slew of posts. I wish there was an edit button.

Anyway, I've just tried to use ttylinux-installer instead of ttylinux-flash to install ttylinux into a USB flash drive, so that the installation includes a file system on the drive rather than a ramdisk. The installation process completed successfully, with my flash drive boot partition being /dev/sda1, and I also installed LILO in the mbr.

When I tried to boot up from this flash drive, I was able to get to the LILO prompt and select the sole ttylinux image, and the kernel loaded until it tried to open the root device, after which I got the following kernel panic:

VFS: Cannot open root device "801" or unknown-block(8,1)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
0b00         1048575 sr0 driver: sr
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)
Pid: 1, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.34.6 #1

This is a similar error as the ones I get when I try to copy a working Linux disk image into a flash drive. Is it a case of the USB device not being detected as /dev/sda1 yet before the kernel tries to open it as the root device? How can this be solved?

Make sure that /dev/sda1 on the flash drive is formatted as ext2 or ext2, also
the problem with this is that you do not know if some other computer will see
that as /dev/sda1 and not /dev/sdb1, etc (which will happen if you use a different
USB port on the same computer).
Thanks. /dev/sda1 which is the flash drive is already formatted as ext2, and it is indeed seen by the PC as /dev/sda1 as it is the only USB device connected to the PC, and no other SATA drives are connected.

I believe the problem is that the USB drivers are not loaded by the time the kernel tries to mount the root fs. I'm pretty sure a "rootwait" kernel parameter will solve this problem, as it has solved the same problem when I tried to copy a working Linux disk image into my flash drive. However, I'm not sure how I can pass this kernel parameter in the LILO menu, or update LILO when it doesn't even let me get to the shell.