Re: [ttylinux:334] git branch 16.0

On 03/25/13 11:41, Kyle Hayes wrote:
Hi, I've been lurking a bit.  I just saw the update notice and have a
couple questions regarding the kernel version.

I am interested in using ttylinux on an eBox 3350MX.  This has a DMP
Vortext86MX core (roughly Intel i486/Pentium compatible).  I have been
using a slimmed down version of Ubuntu for a couple years, but the last
version that will run on this machine is 10.04.  Newer versions use
PentiumPro (CMOV) instructions and do not work.  So I am looking around
for other options and ttylinux seems nice and slim.  One of the things I
do not like about ext3 is how fragile the filesystem is on SD cards.
  We've had a couple corrupted filesystems (ext3 with data=journal) out
of a few hundred installations.  I want to use either f2fs or nilfs2.
  The former is showing new performance in tests but it is only included
in kernel 3.8+  Nilfs2 is usable with earlier kernels but I really want
to do some testing with both.

Is there anything special I would have to do to use that kernel?
It is easy to build i486 ttylinux with your own kernel. The hard parts
are making the kernel config file and in general learning to build a
ttylinux system. Seems like neither of these will be particularly
hard for you.

It seems they may have their own Ethernet driver, and may some other
drivers, that are not in the mainline kernel. These would be hard to
bring into a newer kernel; not something on which I could spend my time.

Does your system boot from USB flash drive or CD-ROM? You might just
try the latest i486 ttylinux binary, just to see if it runs.
http://ttylinux.net/dloadPC-i486.html
http://ttylinux.net/Download/ttylinux-i486-14.1.iso.gz

If you can boot i486 ttylinux, I'd be happy to help you understand the
ttylinux build system and help you move to a newer kernel.

Anyone used the eBox?  If so, what kernel set up do you use.  DMP only
released kernels up through about 2.6.34.  After that, nothing.  Most of
their patches (all?) are in the mainline but there were enough changes
that have had trouble getting a much later kernel to work with the right
disk drivers.

Best,
Kyle