Re: [ttylinux:335] git branch 16.0

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Douglas Jerome <[email protected]> wrote:
On 03/25/13 11:41, Kyle Hayes wrote:
Hi, I've been lurking a bit.  I just saw the update notice and have a
couple questions regarding the kernel version.

[need to build kernel without CMOV support and with NilFS2/f2fs]

Is there anything special I would have to do to use that kernel?
It is easy to build i486 ttylinux with your own kernel. The hard parts
are making the kernel config file and in general learning to build a
ttylinux system. Seems like neither of these will be particularly
hard for you.

It seems they may have their own Ethernet driver, and may some other
drivers, that are not in the mainline kernel. These would be hard to
bring into a newer kernel; not something on which I could spend my time.

As far as I can tell, the drivers are all there.  The network is r6040 (I think it shows up as RDC 6040).  That driver is in the kernel, but usually not built by default.

The disk drivers are a problem.  They had patches that applied cleanly to older kernels but the latest SoC uses different PCI numbers.   There is a patch floating around for that.  It just adds one new row to a list of PCI IDs for the driver.  (see http://hq.pingdynasty.com/blog/2010/10/05/installing-debian-on-ebox-3300/).  I have managed to build kernels that will work for Ubuntu.

Does your system boot from USB flash drive or CD-ROM? You might just
try the latest i486 ttylinux binary, just to see if it runs.
http://ttylinux.net/dloadPC-i486.html
http://ttylinux.net/Download/ttylinux-i486-14.1.iso.gz

I will try when I get a chance.  It might be a couple of weeks.  I am a mentor to a high school robotics team and it is the competition season now!

If you can boot i486 ttylinux, I'd be happy to help you understand the
ttylinux build system and help you move to a newer kernel.

Thanks!

For what I do, I will need to package up OpenVPN and SAMBA.  I think I saw OpenVPN mentioned in the ttylinux lists somewhere.  It did not look like it was that hard to build a package for ttylinux.

Best,
Kyle