Re: [ttylinux:369] CD-ROM Device File

On 05/09/13 20:21, J�rgen Albrechtslund III wrote:
I recently acquired an old Sony VAIO laptop. It is probably a 9" screen,
and has 64MB of MicroDIMM RAM. (I don't intend to buy more MicroDIMMs,
thus I chose ttylinux for this project.)

I booted to the i486 CD in hopes of installing to the 10GB hard disk I
installed, but I could not figure out how the CD-ROM drive was mapped to
a device file, or where. As the bootable system is incredibly minimal,
there is no /cdrom or /dev/cdrom pre-allocated for this purpose. I
followed the documentation and tried /dev/hd{a,b,c,d}, to no avail. (I
thought that even IDE devices used /dev/sd(x) as of a while ago; I tried
that as well.)

The quirk here is that the CD-ROM drive is neither built into the laptop
nor USB. It is a proprietary PCMCIA-attached CD-ROM drive. It's
surprising that it works, but I will need it to complete this
installation. So, seeing as there is no "lsblk" command, is there any
typical mounting point for PCMCIA-attached storage with this kernel?

Thanks in advance.
� J�rgen Albrechtslund III
Does that VAIO boot fro USB? One approach is to make a
bootable USB flash drive with some other computer: boot
the ttylinux CD-ROM on some other computer and use the
ttylinux-flash program in the live ttylinux to transfer
the system from the CD-ROM to a USB flash drive (never
touching the hard drive).

You should be able to then boot the USB flash drive on
the VAIO and install onto the hard drive from that...