Re: [ttylinux:369] CD-ROM Device File

On 05/09/13 20:21, J�rgen Albrechtslund III wrote:
I recently acquired an old Sony VAIO laptop. It is probably a 9" screen,
and has 64MB of MicroDIMM RAM. (I don't intend to buy more MicroDIMMs,
thus I chose ttylinux for this project.)

I booted to the i486 CD in hopes of installing to the 10GB hard disk I
installed, but I could not figure out how the CD-ROM drive was mapped to
a device file, or where. As the bootable system is incredibly minimal,
there is no /cdrom or /dev/cdrom pre-allocated for this purpose. I
followed the documentation and tried /dev/hd{a,b,c,d}, to no avail. (I
thought that even IDE devices used /dev/sd(x) as of a while ago; I tried
that as well.)

The quirk here is that the CD-ROM drive is neither built into the laptop
nor USB. It is a proprietary PCMCIA-attached CD-ROM drive. It's
surprising that it works, but I will need it to complete this
installation. So, seeing as there is no "lsblk" command, is there any
typical mounting point for PCMCIA-attached storage with this kernel?

Thanks in advance.
� J�rgen Albrechtslund III
Or just copy the contents of the CD-ROM to a USB flash
drive (using some other computer), then boot the CD-ROM
on the VAIO, put the flash drive in a USB slot, and then
run the installer with the source device being the USB
flash drive.

Also, I ran into some advice by using google. I don't know if
it will work with ttylinux on the VAIO:

The Sony Vaio (PCG-Z600) comes with an external USB-Floppy and an external CD-ROM (PCMCIA). You can boot from the CD-ROM, but afterwards Linux doesn't recognize the same drive anymore so that you can't install from it. You'll have to add the bootparameter linux ide2=0x180,0x360 (or 0x180,0x386?) at the LILO boot prompt if you want Linux to recognize a PCMCIA CDROM after the kernel has booted.