Re: [ttylinux:369] CD-ROM Device File

Thanks for looking into that for me. It is indeed a strange setup, but an interesting laptop.
I like the USB flash drive idea: I don't think it can boot directly from USB, so I will utilize your second suggestion, being to boot from the CD-ROM, but also have ttylinux on a flash drive, and install from there. That seems like my best option. I will try it when I get a chance later today. Thanks again for your assistance.

On Friday, May 10, 2013 12:29:19 AM UTC-5, djerome wrote:
On 05/09/13 20:21, J�rgen Albrechtslund III wrote:
> I recently acquired an old Sony VAIO laptop. It is probably a 9" screen,
> and has 64MB of MicroDIMM RAM. (I don't intend to buy more MicroDIMMs,
> thus I chose ttylinux for this project.)
>
> I booted to the i486 CD in hopes of installing to the 10GB hard disk I
> installed, but I could not figure out how the CD-ROM drive was mapped to
> a device file, or where. As the bootable system is incredibly minimal,
> there is no /cdrom or /dev/cdrom pre-allocated for this purpose. I
> followed the documentation and tried /dev/hd{a,b,c,d}, to no avail. (I
> thought that even IDE devices used /dev/sd(x) as of a while ago; I tried
> that as well.)
>
> The quirk here is that the CD-ROM drive is neither built into the laptop
> nor USB. It is a proprietary PCMCIA-attached CD-ROM drive. It's
> surprising that it works, but I will need it to complete this
> installation. So, seeing as there is no "lsblk" command, is there any
> typical mounting point for PCMCIA-attached storage with this kernel?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> � J�rgen Albrechtslund III

Or just copy the contents of the CD-ROM to a USB flash
drive (using some other computer), then boot the CD-ROM
on the VAIO, put the flash drive in a USB slot, and then
run the installer with the source device being the USB
flash drive.

Also, I ran into some advice by using google. I don't know if
it will work with ttylinux on the VAIO:

The Sony Vaio (PCG-Z600) comes with an external USB-Floppy and an
external CD-ROM (PCMCIA). You can boot from the CD-ROM, but afterwards
Linux doesn't recognize the same drive anymore so that you can't install
from it. You'll have to add the bootparameter linux ide2=0x180,0x360 (or
0x180,0x386?) at the LILO boot prompt if you want Linux to recognize a
PCMCIA CDROM after the kernel has booted.