Re: CD-ROM Device File

Success at last!

After fiddling around with a USB CD-ROM drive that just did not spin up when attached to the ttylinux live syste, despite being designated /dev/sda as a USB device, I decided to go back to the ${SOURCE_ARCH} issue. It seemed that such a variable was not defined correctly in the ttylinux-installer script somehow. I took a wild guess and assumed that in my case, as I'm installing the i486 version of this operating system, the variable would be i486. So I overcame my dislike for the "vi" text editor, and manually replaced all instances of ${SOURCE_ARCH} in the /sbin/ttylinux-installer script with "i486." This was all done in addition to all previous steps mentioned. Finally the installer finished correctly.

I am not sure if there was an error in the installation script, or merely an issue with my particular system wherein the architecture was not detectible; however, I am fortunate to have discovered the solution in case this problem is ever seen again. (I would be surprised, I found no other mention of the SOURCE_ARCH variable being undefined, or the variable at all.)

Regardless, thank you for your assistance.
— Jörgen Albrechtslund III