Re: [ttylinux] Hi Douglas

On Sunday, September 21, 2014 12:37:22 AM UTC, Jeff Pohlmeyer wrote:

"illegal instruction" sounds like it might be a hardware
incompatibility, the program is trying to use a CPU instruction that
isn't supported on that CPU. You might try re-compiling mcjabber with
-march=i486 or something.

 - Jeff

Jeff, thanks for your reply. It turns out you are completely right. Following your pointer, I booted my custom ttylinux-16.3 filesystem from my P4 laptop and mcabber worked perfectly with that CPU. Same thing occurred when I booted ttylinux from my P4 desktop. So, the error message is, as you said, from the PII CPU in my 266 MHz laptop, which doesn't like the mcabber instructions. Nice to know, and I'll see what I can do about it.