Re: [ttylinux] Hi Douglas

On 09/21/14 09:15, pablo wrote:

On Sunday, September 21, 2014 12:37:22 AM UTC, Jeff Pohlmeyer wrote:

    "illegal instruction" sounds like it might be a hardware
    incompatibility, the program is trying to use a CPU instruction that
    isn't supported on that CPU. You might try re-compiling mcjabber with
    -march=i486 or something.

      - Jeff

Jeff, thanks for your reply. It turns out you are completely right.
Following your pointer, I booted my custom ttylinux-16.3 filesystem from
my P4 laptop and mcabber worked perfectly with that CPU. Same thing
occurred when I booted ttylinux from my P4 desktop. So, the error
message is, as you said, from the PII CPU in my 266 MHz laptop, which
doesn't like the mcabber instructions. Nice to know, and I'll see what I
can do about it.
Gaaa. I thought Jeff's answer didn't apply; I thought
this was all on one machine.

Well, that's why the ttylinux google group is here.

These sorts of problems are why I made the ttylinux
cross-build system. You might please consider using
it and maybe I can add some of your build scripts to
the project:
https://github.com/djerome/crosslinux
https://github.com/djerome/crosslinux/tarball/master

Thank you Jeff, again.