Re: [ttylinux] Hi Douglas

On Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:38:57 PM UTC, djerome wrote:

I've tried wikipedia and distrowatch, but the articles get
deleted and rejected. I guess without a graphical front end
it isn't "notable".

I just googled around a bit and there are plenty of (older) articles discussing and praising ttylinux.
For a few instances, see:

http://www.ioncannon.net/system-administration/1310/minimal_ec2_linux_install_using_ttylinux/
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/coffee-lounge/157746-ttylinux-incredible-small-linux-distro.html
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/ttylinux-1981.shtml
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Minimal_Linux_distros

The problem, I think, is that most point to your old site http://minimalinux.org/ and those who
follow the link find a generic page parked there and assume that ttylinux is no longer available.
It would have been useful, I think, to have retained the old domain name and have linked it to
ttylinux.net - you could probably have done so for as little as $10 per year, or so.

What is very sad is that ttylinux (which is a continuously updated, stable, very capable console-based
linux mini-distribution) is often listed along other similar ones which maintenance has stopped
many years ago and are no longer useful (BasicLinux, muLinux, tomsrtbt, etc.) - ttylinux being
far, far superior and more capable and current than any one of them.

I don't think the obstacle to a more widespread awareness of ttylinux resides in its not
having a graphical front end. I think it's more a matter of publicizing it as well as it can be done,
even if that implies doing so, at least in the beginning, through channels other than wikipedia
and distrowatch.