Adding RAID drivers

Okay, I've rarely (a long time ago) built my own kernels and I've been using ttylinux for some time now as the OS that I net-boot (PXE) on new machines to image/clone them.  My latest effort however has a Dell RAID controller that the stock ttylinux doesn't recognize, so my question is, do I need to build my own and configure the modules into the kernel or build them as modules and load them in using modprobe? I've not played at all with the build system so if someone has instructions they can point me to on this it would be greatly appreciated.

---Jim